Most of us have a repulsive feeling when we think or hear about onions, but what we don’t know is that onions has a very big role to play in the body’s metabolism process, and also makes food taste and smell so nice. Yea, we know without onion our food will be be nice,but onion makes the food great.
Presently in Nigeria, Onion isn’t produced in quantities large enough for export. China produces the most onion in the world,but funny enough they are not the largest exporter, Netherlands happens to be. Onions are great source of vitamins C(Yea, believe it), flavonoids and phytochemicals which helps reduce stroke, heart attack, Parkinson diseases. They are also a good source of antioxidants, which helps prevent cancer( am sure we didn’t know that). Onion is that food that doesn’t need to be cooked, its can be eaten raw.
There are so many types of onions found around, the world.. The most popular happens to be
- The red onion: It happens to have a sweet taste and can be eaten raw. It posses a deep magenta color, it makes a great addition to salad, i personally love using it in preparation of sauce. It gives great taste and savory fragrance.
2) The Green onion: Green onions are immature onions that have not yet formed a bulb, The entire plant is usually used,( and i mean it when i say the entire plant). In Nigeria we usually call them spring onion, and they make wonderful additions, for salad,fried rice,eggs and also noddles. They don’t water the eye unlike the red onion.
3) The White Onion: White onions have a papery white skin, and their flavor is milder and sweeter than yellow onions, which makes it good for serving raw,and also good for making coleslaw, noodles .
4) The Sweet Onion: Larger and slightly flatter than yellow onions, sweet onions contain extra sugar( am sure you never knew onions contains sugar). Their larger size and sweeter flavor makes them great to use as onion rings.
5) The Yellow Onion: Its heavy brown parchment skin surrounds white flesh with a strong, pungent flavor and aroma. If a recipe says onion without specifying what type, it’s assumed to be a yellow onion. Basically, it can be used for any cooking and can also act as food decoration
6) Shallot: Shallots are small, brown-skinned onions with purplish flesh, and their bulbs are made up of multiple lobes, making them look a bit like garlic. They have very intense flavoring and can be used in sauce, but i prefer using them as seasonings for chicken or beef. In Nigeria, they come in small packages,and can be found in the local market, or supermarket.